Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My tenants are trying to use their security deposit as the

Customer Question

My tenants are trying to use their security deposit as the last months rent. I'm quite sure the $900 security deposit will not be enough to fix the things they've done to my property such as using Kerosine instead of heating oil in what was a fairly new furnace. Can I make them pay the last months rent or do I have to sue them once they move?
Thank you,
***** *****
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
The tenants would have no legal right to use the security deposit as rent unless you allowed it. The purpose of a security deposit is to cover physical damages, cleaning and any delinquent rent once the tenant has vacated.
.
So if they haven't paid the rent when due, your first step is to give them a 5 day notice to pay or vacate. If they don't pay within that period, then you can pursue a formal eviction against them in court and get a judgment and writ to have the sheriff physically evict them. . Then you can assess any damages, deduct it from the damage deposit, deduct any delinquent rent, and then pursue them in small claims court if there is a balance due.
.
.
thanks