Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

Is it true that since I sold a house on a Land Contract, and

Customer Question

Is it true that since I sold a house on a Land Contract, and they defaulted on the Contract and I have won my judgement that I have to now sell my house via Sheriffs Sale?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, that is not correct. You have the choice to either sell the property via auction and then pursue the defendants for the deficiency owed, or you can evict them and physically re-enter the property and take it back for yourself. I am not seeing any specific law in Indiana which compels a land contract holder to only sell the property, he can simply take the property back instead.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.