RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I had a border who left my home but left his personal belongings behind. Can I get rid of

Customer Question

I had a border who left my home but left his personal belongings behind. Can I get rid of it all after countless attempts to have pick it up?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Ideally, you would need to give him notice, in writing, advising that he has at least 30 days to retrieve these items left behind or else they will be considered abandoned and disposed of. If you do not have an address for him and he did not forward his mail to a new address, you would need to give him the notice via email or text message, if you can. This way, there is evidence of the notice and he can not come back and say you told him you would hold it and keep it or make something up and sue you for the cost. After 4 months, it would not appear he is going to get these things and you can also advise him you will charge him a storage fee and look to recover that and the unpaid rent, if you sue. You shared you have made countless efforts for him to get this stuff, so if you have evidence and documentation to show and protect yourself, you could dispose of it but just be on notice that he may try and sue you, if he eventually wants them back and they are gone and you do not have anything to show his avoidance.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!