Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I'm trying to figure out if my landlord has the ability to

Customer Question

I'm trying to figure out if my landlord has the ability to kick me out of my rent controlled appartment in san francisco if she sells the place.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
San Francisco rent control regulations prohibit a landlord from evicting a tenant except for just cause. Selling the place to a third party is NOT just cause for displacing or evicting a tenant. If the apartment is being converted to a condominium, then she can evict you unless you are disabled or a senior citizen. However, you'd be entitled to relocation payments BEFORE you moved.
Here is more information on just causes for removing a tenant from an apartment in San Francisco.
http://www.sftu.org/justcauses/
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. So if she sold the building and we are not seniors under what conditions could she evict us if we have violated the lease?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
A landlord can always evict a tenant who violates the lease.
She can't evict you if you haven't violated the lease unless you meet one of the very specific requirements set out in that link I posted, like the original tenant moved out and you're an unapproved subtenant. The new landlord could ask you to move if they are or a relative is moving in, but they're required to give relocation payments to help you pay for a new place.