Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I inherited land from my dad that went into estate, which my

Customer Question

I inherited land from my dad that went into estate, which my mom owns 50% and brothers and sisters own 8.35%. If my mom gives her 50% to me, and my other brother and sister don't want to give there share, do I have more control over them with having more ownership of the land
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
No, the percentage of ownership that each person has doesn't give them greater rights over the property than another owner has. So whether you have 1% or 99%, you have equal rights to the property with other owners.
.
Now you could force a sale of the property and buy them out through a lawsuit called a "partition action". You would then only have to buy out their additional interests at auction so as to become the sole owner if you chose to do so.
.
.
thanks