Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My name is***** and I am trying to understand the

Customer Question

HI, my name is***** and I am trying to understand the commercial real estate process in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The rent is currently 37 days late.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unlike a residential tenancy where the landlord must give 3 day notice for non-payment of rent and then has to sue for eviction, the commercial landlord may give you the notice for eviction for non-payment and may actually lock you out of the premises and file their suit for eviction. The commercial landlord can actually seize all of the property inside the building to satisfy rent.
How long it takes a landlord to do this depends on the landlord, but once they give you notice of the eviction they can lock you out immediately and then they have to file suit for eviction and once they serve you the hearing is held within 10 days, so in theory, depending on objections and legal defenses, once the eviction suit is filed it takes about 20 days total to complete everything in the process.