Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

We have a 15' utility easement in our back yard. We are wanting

Customer Question

We have a 15' utility easement in our back yard. We are wanting to build an in-ground pool. Is it possible to get permission to build on the easement. How do I find out who I would contact about this? On our survey it just list 15' UE.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you cannot interfere with or impede/impair a utility easement. You would have to contact the utility companies in your area regarding the easement and they can give you a written waiver of the easement, which you would then have to also file with your deed and have the utility easement removed from your deed, but the only way they will do so is if they are not using the easement currently.
You need to check with the utility companies providing service in your area to determine which of them are using the easement (such as for buried lines or pipes etc) and if they do have buried equipment, you could not build on it or you would have to agree to pay to move everything to another location, which could get quite costly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I find which utility companies are in my area? and which ones to call? is there a record of it somewhere?
Thank you for your reply.
Well, that would be your phone company, electric company, gas company, city sewer/water, the utility bills you pay, those are the utility companies in your area.