Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Bought home less than a month ago no disclosed of the home

Customer Question

Bought home less than a month ago no disclosed of the home was recieved or offered, not even a word about how the basement floods. there was a big flood ask the last owner about the flooding she said "she had no reguations of it flooding, so i said why is the carpet in the basement new, she said the previous had a dog that urine in the basement and went into the cement so they had the cement fixed because it bubbled up because of the dog. but the funny thing the owners whome I bought the home from they have live in this home for 20 years. I had a quote an how much it would cost for repairs, over $70,000.00 there is black mold. They also said there is no way the home owner didnot know about the flooding. called the real estate who listed whom carries a 30 day insurace, but they will not provide a claim form. all they say is i will try to get out of the sell what she knows about the flooring a family of five including a one month old baby girl are trying to live in this home
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Did you have an inspection performed on the property prior to purchasing it?
.
Was the home sold "As Is"?
.
Did you ask the seller about any potential foundation or water issued prior to purchasing?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No inspection, but helped the owner move out and ask her about the home she said that there was no problems with the home before purchased
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there is no mandatory seller's disclosure law in Wyoming like there is in most other states, so the seller doesn't have to offer any information about the house.
.
However, if asked directly, they can't lie about problems either. If you asked if there were any problems and the seller lied, then this is misrepresentation, fraud, and breach of contract.
.
So here, you would have grounds to sue her for fraud, misrepresentation and breach of contract if you can get a licensed and bonded contractor to give you estimates and also potentially testify that this was a long standing pre-existing condition that the seller tried to conceal with the new carpet.
.
You would need to contact a local real estate attorney to assist with this and the sooner the better before the seller gets too far away with the money..
.
.
thanks