Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

In california a unit I want to rent is a single family home

Customer Question

In california a unit I want to rent is a single family home on a piece of property with 4 single family homes built on it. the are two water meters each serving two homes shared. The Water usage is shared between two homes. They are monitored by a company called AUM who somehow divies up the cost of the water between each tenant. is this legal in cases where different families have to share water, shouldn't the landlord have to pay for the water usage.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Does the lease contain any provision regarding utilities, specifically water charges?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have not actually seen the lease yet, this is just what i am hearing from the management
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If the lease provides for the billing or monitoring through AUM then it is permissible. If the lease does not address the issue then it is the landlord's responsibility to provide the water.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
In other words, it can be agreed in the lease how the water will be charged.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.