How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to delay/stop an excessive (35%) increase in the HOA f

Customer Question

How to delay/stop an excessive (35%) increase in the HOA fee.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
The best way to do this is "through the ballot box" (by voting down assessment increases). But short of that, you can petition the Board to request that the assessments be implemented in stages, or ask for a financial hardship waiver/agreement to allow you time to make up these assessments.Unfortunately, if the HOA has followed all of the procedural rules for creating the assessments (i.e. if they are valid assessments) they do not have an obligation to work with you, but many HOAs will because it is better for them to get paid on a fixed timetable rather than have outstanding accounts with homeowners that are going to go into collections which will increase with late fees and interest, then collection costs, and wind up with liens and foreclosure - none of which is good for the community.

Related Real Estate Law Questions