Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I live in Oklahoma me and my now exhusband bought a house and

Customer Question

I live in Oklahoma me and my now exhusband bought a house and his stepfather was a cosigner for us. I have fallen behind on the payments since the divorce. My name is ***** ***** name on the deed. I am working with the bank on catching the payments up. My ex in laws have came to my work causing a scene saying they own the house and are going to kick me out. What can I do or can they even do this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Here if you were awarded the house it is yours and between you and the lender.The step father might have co signed here which makes him liable but since his name is ***** ***** the deed it is your property.
You are doing the best you can here, he may not like it but this is your house and you are working with the bank.Feel free to tell him to leave you alone and call the police if you have too here.This amounts to harassment and your employer can remove them as trespassers as well.
You have rights here you are the sole owner as you present it, until there is refinance they are just on the note.
You don't have to discuss this with them, ask them to leave and have employer call police if they will not do so.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.I am sorry you are having go through all of this including dealing with the in laws.Thanks again and good luck here with all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much I am happy you confirmed what I believed was true.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
You are so welcome.I wish you the best.
If you can leave a positive rating always much appreciated.