Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

My HOA says they have I need to have "architectural committee"

Customer Question

My HOA says they have I need to have "architectural committee" approval for permanent construction improvements such as a room addition, wooden patio cover, etc. But they are claiming I can't put up a temporary sun shade or umbrella, under the same clause. That's baloney, right?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, it is not "baloney" it is up to what your bylaws of the HOA state. This is a huge issue with many homeowners and HOA that many homeowners are not aware of when they buy in the HOA. An HOA can control and dictate to owners what they can and cannot do. Permanent structures generally require architecture, but they could restrict temporary structures as well and it all depends on how the clause reads.
What specifically does the clause state?