Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I was separated from my wife years when she purchased

Customer Question

I was separated from my wife for 5 years when she purchased a home with her mother. We divorced 10 months after purchase. They are now going through a short sale due to medical problems. We want to get remarried. Am I responsible for her debts ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under VA law, if a couple is separated, during the time of separation no marital property accrues. This means that the house she purchased was her separate property and any debts for that property are her separate debts unless you signed onto the loan. If you did not sign onto the loan and you were separated at the time of the purchase and your name is ***** ***** the deed, then none of the debt associated with that house is your liability and they cannot pursue you for any of that debt.