Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I worked ag chemical business as an applicator. I was

Customer Question

I worked for an ag chemical business as an applicator. I was paid hourly but also was to receive an acre bonus for the acres I sprayed and fertilized. the coop that owned the business sold it. now they tell me they wont pay the bonus money because of the sale. I wonder if this is legal or if I have any recourse to get the money I feel they owe. the business is located in south Dakota but the coop is based out of Nebraska. I would appreciate any info on the matter. thanks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
Legally what governs is what you agreed to in writing, or if there is any sort of a paper trail (even an email trail) of the expected wages and bonuses. if you can point to language showing that they made a promise and breached it without cause, you can take them to court either in small claims if the amount is under $12,000 or to the local county court for 'breach of contract'. Since you worked in South Dakota, that court would have jurisdiction, and you can sue for the funds owed. Likewise you could also potentially contact the local Department of Labor, claim that this is a wage dispute, and have them investigate. To learn more about filing, please use this link below:
http://ujs.sd.gov/Second_Circuit/Local_Forms_and_Policies/smallclaims.aspx
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.