Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

How often per day must we allow the landlord to schedule

Customer Question

How often per day must we allow the landlord to schedule visits to show prospective buyers to our apartment? My wife and I are tenants in Chicago with a 5-week old infant. Given our newborn and all the issues of feeding, fussiness and napping for a newborn, what is "presumed reasonable access"?
Our landlord gave us notice at they are selling the unit and our lease will end July 31, 2015. The landlord's agent has posted the unit for sale as of June 1st, and will provide 24-hr notice, plans to schedule visits to our apartment between 9am-7pm, every day during the week, Monday through Sunday. What are the fewest appointments we are required to allow per day and how many days per week?
We agree the landlord has the right to sell and exhibit our apartment. We are paying $1900/month and a regular stream of visitors to our unit seems extremely disruptive to our ability to reasonably care for our baby as well as have a reasonable quality of life before moving by end of July.
Thank you for your help and information.
Keith
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
The Chicago Landlord Tenant Ordinance does not prescribe a minimum or maximum number of entries per day. It only prohibits abuse of the right of entry to harass the tenant.
Additionally, the ordinance requires no less than 2 days notice for entry.
That said, you have every right to declare entry on a daily basis to be harassment and abuse of the right. You can also demand that they adhere to the 2 day notice requirement or agree to 2 days during the week to set their appointments on, say, an open house sort of schedule to get the prospective purchasers in and out withing a set block of time.
Here is the relevant section of the ordinance:
http://www.illinois-attorney.com/law/city-of-chicago-residential-landlord-and-tenant-ordinance/5-12-050-landlords-right-of-access/
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions? Have I answered your question?