Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

CALIFORNIA RENTAL LAW; IF A LEASE CONTRACT EXPIRES AT THE

Customer Question

CALIFORNIA RENTAL LAW; IF A LEASE CONTRACT EXPIRES AT THE END OF ITS TERM. BUT THE TENANTS ARE ALLOWED TO STAY IN THE PROPERTY ON A MONTH TO MONTH BASIS. IF THERE WERE TERMS THAT ARE NOT THE NORMAL LEGALLY REQUIRED AS ELEMENTS OF THE LEASE CONTRACT, SUCH
AS WEED ABATEMENT. DO THE EXTRANEOUS TERMS SIMILAR TO THE ONE CITED CARRY FORWARD TO A VERBAL MONTH TO MONTH RENTAL AGREEMENT? IN REGARD TO THE ABOVE QUESTION HERE IS A FACTOR FOR THE TIME OF THE 1 YR LEASE AND THE FOLLOWING 12 MONTHS THE PROPERTY OWNER HAS
HAD ALL OF THE WEED ABATEMENT FOR THE PROPERTY DONE AT HIS EXPENSE. THIS YEAR THE BECAUSE OF THE INCREASE IN THE AMOUNT OF RAIN FALL THE WEEDS HAVE BEEN MORE THAN PLENTIFUL AND HAVE GROWN UP TO 2 FEET IN HEIGHT. SUDDENLY WITHOUT WARNING OR EXPLANATION HE HAS
DECIDED THAT HE WILL NOT HAVE THE WEEDS CUT, IT IS NOW MY OBLIGATION TO PERFORM THE JOB THAT HE HAS HAD DONE IN THE PRIOR TWO YEARS. I HAVE TALKED WITH THE PROPERTY MANAGER, WHO CITES THE CLAUSE OF THE THE CLAUSE CONTRACT AS BEING ENFORCEABLE. IF I AM READING
THE LAW CORRECTLY, ONCE THE LEASE EXPIRES AND THE TENANTS ARE ON A VERBAL MONTH TO MONTH CONTRACT. ALL NONE STATE LAW RENTAL PROVISIONS EXPIRES WITH THE LEASE CONTRACT. BARRY BANKS
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
All of the terms of the original lease remain in place except it changes from the original term to month to month. Cal. Civ. Code, Section 1945.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1940-1954.1
If the original agreement was that the landlord would pay for lawn care and weed abatement, that continues.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.