Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

Our home of 50 years is held in a Trust Account. My husband

Customer Question

Our home of 50 years is held in a Trust Account. My husband passed away last Nov. and I'm the other named trustee. Does this have to go through probate?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
First, let me tell you how sorry I am for the loss of your husband. I'm sure this is a difficult time for you and I will certainly keep you in my prayers.
With regard to your specific question, the answer is no. Probate is only required for probate assets. Since the home is held by a trust, which is a separate and distinct entity, the trust document controls. And, because it's in the trust, it's not part of your husband's estate and thus not a probate asset. Thus, no probate is required. :)
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!