Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I live at*****in los angeles 90022. i was given

Customer Question

i live at*****in los angeles 90022. i was given three months to vacate the propety with no explanation.and i suspect the reason is beacuse the zink,toilet are constantly cloging.they will send a individual to do a quik fix.and later the same happens.he even said that it will require a major digging to unglog.fix,or change pipes.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I understand the situation but I am unclear as to your question. How can I assist you, what is specifically your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my cuestion is where can i go for help.or if i can get some kind of relocation money from them to move
If I may ask, are you under 'month to month' or a signed lease? If under lease, when does it expire? If you are a tenant, are you under rent control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm month to month but i don't know if i live in rent control area.
I ask because if you are month-to-month, legally speaking you are not entitled to relocation costs. Provided that you are given sufficient notice (and 9 months is more than sufficient, since the law requires 30 days if you've been on premises for a year or less, and 60 days if you've been on premises more than a year), the landlord is free to demand that you move out. They do not have to give you a legal reason if you are not under rent control and can simply demand that you leave the premises once their notice expires. My answer might differ if you are under contract or under rent control, but if neither is the case, there is no real recourse available here under the circumstances.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I find out if I'm under rent control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was given 3 months to vacate the premises
You can contact the landlord as the landlord must inform you if you are under 'rent stabilization' or rent control or not. This is the fastest means of finding out, or you can also review this link below which explains which properties fall under rent control and which do not:
http://www.caltenantlaw.com/LARSO.htm
Hope that helps!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.