J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

My brother died, he owned a mobile home in a mobile home park,

Customer Question

My brother died, he owned a mobile home in a mobile home park, that he lived in.
The mobile home has NO value to me, my brother's name is ***** ***** name on the deed.
I've paid the space rent for the past 2 month's, to give me time to clean it out and find
paper work (he was a hoarder a total mess). I will have control of all his bank accounts
by the 10th of June.
My question is, can I he held responsible for anything connected to his Mobile Home?
I want to walk away from it. The mobile home is located in California.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:
(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and
(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
My condolences on the loss of your brother. You can not be held personally liable for the losses associated with the mobile home. However, if a person incurs costs associated with the home they may have a claim against the estate of your brother. But if the estate has no money there is really nothing to pursue.
But to avoid any potential issues down the road and having to defend and prove you have no liability for anything associated with the mobile home it may be a practical solution to ask if the park manager would like to have the title transferred to his name. In addition, there are scrap metal and mobile home disposal companies that will remove the home and scrap it for a nominal fee or sometimes pay a small fee for the scrap metal value of the home.
All my best & encouragement.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.