Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Good evening. i've lived in a house owned by my sister for

Customer Question

Good evening. i've lived in a house owned by my sister for almost 15 years now. My sister bought tthe house because that way I could always take care of my mom who lived next door. She also always told me that that house was just as mine as it was hers although not on the title.... always said i would never be left homeless. Now my sister has a debilitating disease that is taking her fast and she can barely express herself. Her daughter my niece is making sure that she has all the power to take all my sisters assets for her since she is her daughter. i dont think my sister ever wrote a will. my niece is heartless and treats her mother very badly
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I am sorry to hear that you and your sister are going through this difficult time..
.
What is your legal question that I can help with tonight?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for that information. I have read it but I still don't see an actual legal question for me to answer..
.
Are you asking what happens to the house if sister didn't make a will and she passes?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well yes.... she always told me i would not be thrown out of that house . dont think she has a will and dont know how to find out, what happens. my sisters assets and all finances have been taken over by her daughter
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in the case where sister passes without a will in place leaving you the house or if she doesn't add you to the deed as a joint owner prior to passing, then her children would inherit the house and it would become their property. If there is just the one daughter, then she would inherit everything by default.
.
As for any verbal promise by sister to leave you the house or give you the right to live there indefinitely, unfortunately that would be legally unenforceable.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I already knew the answer but you always hope there is a sliver of hope. I really appreciate it!!!!!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I am sorry that the news isn't better...
.
.
thanks