Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I live in Texas and have been in a month-to-month

Customer Question

I live in Texas and have been in a month-to-month lease on a house for some time. About a week ago, I gave a written 30-day move out notice to the landlord by dropping it in their mailbox. However, on Monday, I changed my mind. Since I am a good tenant and have a good relationship with the landlord, she rescinded the notice and proceeded as if I had never given it. My question is, do I need to get a written confirmation of the rescinded agreement, and have the landlord sign and date it. If so, what should the contents of the written confirmation contain?
Kind Regards,
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Although it's always a good idea to get written confirmation of a verbal rescission just so that you have documentation evidencing such a verbal agreement, it's not likely necessary. If she didn't actually return your notice, but simply verbally agreed to a rescission of it, I would suggest you simply send her an email confirming the rescission. She need not sign it or respond; rather, her silence will evidence her agreement. Then, once you pay another month's rent, your month to month tenancy will simply extend your month to month tenancy requiring either party to give the other a 30 day written notice to terminate.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!