Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I bought my house a year and a half ago and we are having a

Customer Question

I bought my house a year and a half ago and we are having a pool built, upon getting reforestation from the permit office I see that we have an additional 10 feet of property in the front yard of my neighbor. We would like to move the new fence to the property line. Although there is a new home owner that just placed a drive way on part of this plot . We didnt pay attention at closing to go after the land a year ago and he believes it is his. We are having the county survey the land..Its obvious that the past owners didn't pay attention either due to the current fences. Do I have to worry about adverse possession?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome oto JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Here you have a right to assert claim and use of your land.This prevents a claim of adverse possession here.The neighbor is trying to do this and over time he will do so.

Since there was a sale here (new home owner) this is hte perfect time to claim the territory by fence.

I suggest you notify him in writing you intend to fence to your legal boundary line and that his driveway here is ecroaching on it.This way he is noticed this is not his property and you are reasserting your claim to it.This is in your baest legal interest to do so.

He has to hold hte land for 20 years so this is the correct answer to reclaiming your property.

Reference to Maryland 20 year law.

http://baylawllc.com/maryland-adverse-possession/

If this is within your boundaries and markers you have legal right to reclaim it and doing so now prevents any claims later on.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.