Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I have rented form a property Manager years. When I moved

Customer Question

I have rented form a property Manager for 5 years. When I moved in the hosue it was in ok condiotion but not close to perfect. Well, the Ho dies and his wife form New York took over. Last month she hierd a property manager and we gave our 30 day notice to move. (becasue they new managment wanted my 87 year old grandma to move out ) anyway, they property manager sent me a check list of all the charges they will charge me , included but not limited to painting, pest control, replacing doors, this list goes on. This house needed painting and work done when i moved in can the new company charge me this wehn i move out? Also, I paid last months rent wheni first moved in but they are saying I didn't. Please advise the best hting for me to do in this situation.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You landlord may not charge you for routine maintenance which would need to be performed to prepare the premises for a new tenant. You can only be charged for damage and repairs which exceed normal wear and tear.
Even for that, you can only be charged to replace the depreciated value of a damaged item. In other words, they can not charge you the entire cost of new carpeting to replace damaged carpeting which was 10 years old or beyond its useful life.
If the try to use you security deposit for improper charges you can sue the landlord in small claims court. If the landlord's misuse of security deposit is willful you may be able to get punitive damages and attorney fees.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i have ot go by the new property managers terms? The only lease i have is form the original owner 5 years ago
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You are a month to month tenant. The terms in the written lease have expired. The manager is an agent of the owner and can only impose statutory obligations on you since there is no written lease.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?