Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

RE: Landlord/tenant dispute question submitted 7:55AM today.

Customer Question

RE: Landlord/tenant dispute question submitted 7:55AM today. Discrimination due to sexual preference. Lucy, esq. response was detailed and positive. However upon referencing dhr.gov website, I find on page 8 an exclusion: rental units in two family homes
occupied by the owner - NOT COVERED by Human Rights Law - Which leaves me nowhere and the information I received is really of no use to me. NOT HAPPY.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry. The way the site posted your response, I didn't see the part where you said that it's a two-family. I read "separate apartment" to mean that it's not attached.
Everything I said about her blacklisting you is still true. That's a contracts thing, not a landlord/tenant thing. She can't stop you from getting another apartment somewhere else.
They can in this scenario raise the rent. But you can reject their increase entirely and seek another place to live.