How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to stop a neighbor from building a fence on his property

Customer Question

How to stop a neighbor from building a fence on his property line that blocks the entrance to my yard?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.
How can I determine if he has a permit?
1. Depending on whether you are looking at a city, county, or Homeowner's Association regulation regarding the 4 feet limit, you would need to check with that entity to determine if a permit has been issued under your neighbor's name or address. This information should be considered public information and you should be allowed access to it.
How to stop a neighbor from building a fence on his property line that blocks the entrance to my yard?
2. Typically, a prescriptive easement is created when someone uses land for access such as you are doing here. However, these cases are harder to win than those where your parcel would be land-locked if the fence was built. That is called an easement by necessity. The MD case at the link below explain the MD law on necessity easements:
If you are not able to work something out with the neighbor, you will have to sue him to obtain a court order that says he cannot built the fence on his land in a manner that blocks access to your yard because you have a easement by necessity there. This can be done via a declaratory judgment suit {DJ} :
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!