Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My name is***** am a licensed real estate practitioner

Customer Question

Hi
My name is***** am a licensed real estate practitioner in the state of Texas.
I recently purchased a summer vacation rental in the state of Colorado, and have signed a management agreement with a local property management co. Renters reside in my home for short periods.. the management co retains a percentage of the gross rental.. I pay for the placement of my property in VRBO.
Being a proactive owner, I have requested that the Manager provide me with information on the renters... phone number, email address etc for the purpose of getting feed back, thanking them for choosing my home etc. Much to my surprise property manager declined my request for reasons of privacy. Our management contract does not include any exclusionary language regarding same. Question is.. is this information proprietary to the management co? will they be violating any CO statutes? This is my property... I pay for all expenses including paying for the listing in Home Away, VRBO , even though it is NOT under my name...Doesn't the management company have a fiduciary responsibility to me.. to disclose any relevant information for people staying in my property ?
Thanks
David A
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
""Question is.. is this information proprietary to the management co? will they be violating any CO statutes?
.
.
The company's first duty is to you as the principle in the transaction. They are your agent and as such would have an obligation to disclose to you any information that you requested about a tenant that was renting your property. So they work for you.
.
I don't see any logical reason for them to try and withhold this information from you other than their fear that you might possibly use it to contact a tenant to re-rent and then cut them out if you terminated the management contract.
.
.
thanks