RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I own equal parts of a home with my brother. He lives in the

Customer Question

I own equal parts of a home with my brother. He lives in the basement and I live on the main floor of our Ranch style home. I am having a problem with my brother threating to turn off the circuit breaker to my central air this summer if I turn the thermostat below 74 degrees. What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. Can you share with me why he has an issue with this? Does it have to do with the bill?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I pay the electric bill. He said that it gets too cold in the basement. I do understand that but we live in a very humid place and the air is very thick.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not received an answer to my original question yet?

Thank you for the additional information. Since you both are co-owners and both have a legal right to be present, this is a civil issue and the only way to prevent this conduct would be to proceed and take him to court, trying to obtain an injunction / court order, which would prevent him from doing this. If he lives in the basement, that needs to be balanced against the humidity. It is highly unlikely, unless you can show harm that you would suffered as a result of this, for the court to step in and order the temperature of the thermostat and him turning off the circuit breaker. What you may want to look into is a dehumidifier to try and lessen the problem but if not, only a court order would essentially force him to cease the conduct, if he did this. Another option may be to live down in the basement and allow him to live upstairs, if possible. I know you want a specific solution but this is a dispute among owners and residents, so the Judge would have to step in.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!