Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I leased three tenths of an acre from the neighbor next door

Customer Question

I leased three tenths of an acre from the neighbor next door for ten years and paid in full to bring my property up to 5 acres required to have class I wildlife. The house was forclosed on and new owners are there. Is the lease still valid?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, assuming the mortgage predated the lease, the foreclosure would end your lease. You can be evicted, but you can also try to negotiate a new lease with the new owner..
Otherwise, the new owner can have you evicted.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.