socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I live in a free standing condo community where there is one

Customer Question

I live in a free standing condo community where there is one central sprinkler system for all 44 homes. This system is inadequate, poorly designed and poorly managed. I would like to install my own private system, using my own water of course, and being careful to not disturb the community system. Is there any law condo related law that prevents me from doing that?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, There is no "statutory" law that would prevent you from installing your own sprinkler system on community property. However, since the common elements of the community are under the control of the association, the association could impose a fine against you, or simply tear out the sprinklers and bill you for a violation of the association covenants. The common law of real property subjects to to the association's declaration of covenants. Consequently, unless you obtain permission to install the sprinkler system, you risk various sanctions from the association. Frankly, I don't know why the association would object to your installing a sprinkler system. But, as a long-time board member of several different homeowners associations, I have observed that boards tend towards authoritarian, rather than practical decisions. So, I can't promise that you will gain an approval from your association board. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!