Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in Brownsburg,Indiana and on May 1st my landlord taped

Customer Question

I live in Brownsburg,Indiana and on May 1st my landlord taped a writ to evict.I was 2 month in arrears because of extreme health issues I was on the 3rd of May going to pay the arrears.She stated she didn't want my money and wanted me to move.I have extreme health issues,I was on Chemo for a year and have broken my shoulder,hip,pelvic and currently have a bro***** *****d and wrist.So trying to pack and having limitations I can't be moved by her eviction date.She sent me a registered letter but no Judge's signature on it.If I could get an extension for the first of July I could comply with her wishes for us to move.My sister is legally blind and cannot help much and I have an disabled son that can help none.Please tell me what I can do to get an extension.Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
There's no way to legally force an extension on the landlord. However, in order to force you out of the property, the landlord would have to file an eviction action and get a court order directing you to vacate. Thus, you likely have at least 30 days from the day you are served with eviction papers before you have to move. So, you will likely have the time you're seeking - or very close to it - if you force the landlord to proceed with eviction.
That said, you may be able to ask the landlord to give you a break on this, but if not , your time would be limited until the court date.