LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

If you are disabled and live in a condo built prior to 1991,

Customer Question

If you are disabled and live in a condo built prior to 1991, do you have any rights regarding accessibility in the condo area due to your disability?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Cheryl,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The typical condo, because it does not qualify as a place of public accommodation is not required to abide by the ADA in terms of modifying the premises for use by the handicapped.

However, a condo does have the legal obligation to provide a reasonable accommodation to a disabled person under the Fair Housing laws.

What this means is that while you can demand to do things like build a wheelchair ramp for entry into your home, and make needed changes in your home to accommodate your spouse’s disabilities, the condo is not under a legal obligation to make structural changes to the buildings to assist your spouse.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,

Doug

Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/real-estate-law/93t8h-disabled-live-condo-built-prior-1991.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.