Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My neighbor and my husband had a joint block wall put up approximately

Customer Question

my neighbor and my husband had a joint block wall put up approximately forty years ago. They split the cost but now the neighbors son is talking about the wall not being on the property line but encroaching on his side. He keeps saying he will sue me to get his property back and have me pay for all of it. I am a seventy-seven year old widow, this is causing me grief. They knew about the wall for at least thirty-five years and now all of a sudden since my husband is dead this son is bringing it up. It has not been surveyed, but years ago my husband and the neighbor discussed it by going by the X mark in the curb.
Common sense is telling me that the time for a dispute has expired. Is this covered in statute of limitations?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Can you provide me a bit more information? In what state is your property located? Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
California
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for responding. California has some rather unique laws regarding adverse possession...which is the concept of law which would protect you in this situation. Therefore, I am going to opt out to open your question up to all experts so another expert more versed in CA's law can hopefully timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.