Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have 10 acres. I rented a home on the property. I have moved

Customer Question

I have 10 acres. I rented a home on the property. I have moved a trailer on the property, is it legal for me to stay there from time to time?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Did you rent the entire ten acres as well as the home under any lease to the tenant?
.
Or did you just rent them the home and any surrounding yard?
.
Or does the lease not specify exactly what the tenant rented?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lease does not specify. I rented a house. This is in California. They had some yard. But did not use the rest of the property.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if the lease doesn't specify what the tenant rented, but does specify the address of the house, then I would opine that they would have the use of the house and any attached yard, but not the remainder of the ten acres unless the lease specifically states this.
.
With that said, if the remainder of the ten acres wasn't included under the lease, then there is nothing that would prevent you from living on it.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Also, can I verify that once a lease is over it just reverts to a month to month, but you still have to give notice to terminate.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Once a fixed term lease expired, it automatically converts to a month to month tenancy if the landlord and tenant agree to continue the tenancy. If the tenant has lived there over a year, then the landlord has to give them a 60 day written notice to terminate under CA law (CA Civil Code 1946.1) The tenant can terminate with only a 30 day notice though.
.
.
thanks