Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I live in a HOA developed in 1992 with two buildings of 24

Customer Question

I live in a HOA developed in 1992 with two buildings of 24 units each. Originally many of the end units were "lockout units" and were given 2 votes on association issues. Now all but 2-3 of these units have been converted to one large unit and the few that have not are one owner. Many still are given 2 votes with the BOD saying "well these units have two meters"..... We all pay the same association fees. (My husband said he will put in two more meters and have three votes! Lol)
I want to get this corrected as i am a board member this year (BOD is stacked with people with two votes thus keeping the same majority always as BOD's)
What laws deeming this illegal can i present at the meeting ?
Thank you for your help
***** *****
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! My name is***** am a licensed attorney. I have assisted hundreds of others with their legal questions. I am happy to help you!
Are you saying that the unites that have converted have two votes and yo only have one vote? And you want to know if the conversion allowed for the two votes legally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically - what's strange is that some of the units that converted have one vote and some have two votes - it apparently depends on whether or not you still have two meters or not-just wondering what the Florida statutes are on this
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
New professional here. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. May I presume that the HOA By-Laws state that the reason the units with the lock-out have 2 votes is because they ARE lock out units---legally separate living quarters?
Doug