LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

Regarding guesthouses and kitchens/kitchenettes in Beverly

Customer Question

Hi regarding guesthouses and kitchens/kitchenettes in Beverly Hills. What is the line in the sand re legality of adding a k without a permit in a guesthouse?I think that it is illegal to have a full/220V storve but i think it is ok to have a hotplate, sink and small fridge. What is the clause in the law and building code? thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Under CA law, as well as local ordinance, the addition of any plumbing or installation of appliances such as a stove, and even the addition of new electrical wiring to accommodate these types of things, would constitute an illegal addition without a building permit for the project.
At most, you would be able to plug in a hot plate or a microwave. Adding even a full size refrigerator or freezer would be legal, so long as all they needed was to be plugged in.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug