RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I bought a house and paid a inspector to inspect the house.

Customer Question

I bought a house and paid a inspector to inspect the house. He didn't. The appraiser did not. There is at least 20 thousand in structural damage. The inspector paid me almost 10 thousand but there is more damage including molding, and more structural damage. I did sign a paper that he had drawn out stating that if I take the 10k I would not sue him or the people that worked for him. I had to take the money because the house was falling and still is. I am going through the attorney general trying to take legal action against the bank that hired the appraiser, and the appraiser. My question is can I still go to the attorney general against the inspector and what if the house fall in before the attorney general can do anything about it?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. An appraiser only determines the value of the home. They do not inspect it, so I am not sure if there is going to be any claim against them, if they performed their job. Clearly, the inspector was in breached and failed to perform, if they did not inspect the home and there was that much noticeable damage. Now, if you settled with the inspector and signed an agreement advising of the same, then you are not likely going to be able to go back and sue him. If the AG steps in, they could take or suspend his license and take action against him but they may not be able to get any additional funds for you, if you accepted the 10k and agreed not to sue. You can certainly speak with the AG but any action taken by them may be against his license with the State.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!