Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Question on Quitclaim deeds Ga witnesses and notary

Customer Question

This is for TJ to answer please. I bought a lot in GA and had two clouds from former grantors from purchase of the lot 20 and 30 years ago (and there was also security deeds not recorded as satisfied but one is past twenty years and the other will be over twenty years in August and I understand that is no longer an issue past 20 years in Ga - correct me if I'm wrong.) Both grantors agreed to quitclaim their interests to me (yay!) so I could avoid doing a quiet title action. My question has to also do with the witnesses for these GA deeds. These cloud grantors sent  quitclaims with witnesses that only signed and did not write out their names. The notary signed with just what looks like an "S" for her last name but did put her seal on it - however it is just raised not black and in my opinion not that legible since it is over the signature. Every single deed for that lot (and there have been many sales of it over the years) does not have a witness that wrote out their name in addition to signing - they only signed it - yet I looked up the rules and it says that witnesses must print and sign their names. Will these quitclaims still be valid with just the witnesses signature and no additional printing of their names and is the notary signing the way she did a problem on one of them?

Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I asked for TJ to answer but he never did.