Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I have rental property in pike county, Illinois. I just received

Customer Question

I have rental property in pike county, Illinois. I just received a letter from the water dept. stating that my renter is 5 months behind and they are no longer trying to work with her and that it is now on me to pay. Is this true? The water is in her name. I've spoken to other landlords in the area and they say that is not true, that it falls on the renter and they need to go after her. Any advice?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, the water bill ultimately falls to the property owner because the utility can lien the property.

Therefore, you would need to pay and then pursue the tenant for reimbursement.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Best regards.