Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I own several properties in Indianapolis Indiana. I have been

Customer Question

I own several properties in Indianapolis Indiana. I have been fined by code enforcement for flaking paint, handrails, fascia gutter issues tall grass. I get my tax bill and the fines are added to the tax bill. Can I refuse to pay them and buy time?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If the tax bills aren't paid by the due date in full, then the city can impose liens on the property and potentially force a sale of them at a later date.
.
But from a practical perspective, it can take months for the city to actually start any action to file an Application for Judgment of unpaid taxes.
.
Further, even if the property is sold for back taxes, the owner has up do a year to redeem them by paying all the late fees, costs of sale, and any taxes.
.
So as long as you can pay any late fees and charges either prior to any sale or redeem the properties within a year after sale, you can stall them on paying the bills.
.
.
thanks