Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I'm thinking of buying a house with a friend. She is providing

Customer Question

I'm thinking of buying a house with a friend. She is providing the down payment and I am paying that back with proceeds when my house sells. In the mean time I will be paying the new mortgage. How can I protect myself, in the event she dies, from her son trying to claim it. Put my name on the deed at the closing? And how can she protect herself or assure I will pay her back in a legal way?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Are you going to draft an agreement setting out the particulars you stated above?

How can I protect myself, in the event she dies, from her son trying to claim it. Put my name on the deed at the closing?

As far as her son claiming the property both of your names would need to be on the deed.

Do you know how you want to hold title to the property. Do you want the house to go to the survivor of of the two of you should one of you pass away or did you each want your half interest to pass to your heirs?