Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I'm selling my house with a finished basement without permits,

Customer Question

I'm selling my house with a finished basement without permits, I did they work with friends and I paid cash for electrician and a plumber which they did on there own time,I was told if I did the work I wouldn't have to pull premits, this is in Castle Rock,CO. What do I need to do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
First, check with your local county building permit authority to see whether or not the type of work you did is covered by their ordinance.Typically, doing what you did without permits can often be cured simply by obtaining the permits afterward. You can have the electrical work inspected by a licensed electrician. If you feel that you will need to prove the existence of permits when you sell the house, then you might want to go ahead and pull them now; however you might want to consult with your real estate listing broker before you spend the money on that. I hope that this information is helpful