Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My cousin had a lein placed on her land by her son in law who

Customer Question

My cousin had a lein placed on her land by her son in law who was building a house on the land she gave to him,he decided he no longer wabted the land, so my cousin gave it to me, I asked how much her son in law wanted, she told me nothing as he did not pay her for it, as sson as I started building my home, her son in law took out a lein on her, she is very poor and did not have the money to give to him , even though I wanted to go to court to fight it, her lawyer told us she would have to move off the land until the judgement was passed, I didn't want that to happen to my cousin so I paid the lein for her. Now I have finished building my house, my cousin is asking for the land back. Where do I stand? I think I have paid for the land, double what it was worth. Do I have a case to keep the land, I am only claiming for half the land the other half my cousin can have
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to helping you today.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you online with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
When you paid off the lien did you receive a deed or any sort of written agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not get a deed and my cousin doesn't want me to get a deed, she wants the land back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a receipt for the money which her lawyers has
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.Without a deed or written agreement you have no claim to the property. You do, however, have a right to demand repayment. If they refuse you can sue for repayment and, possibly, the value of your improvement to the property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the receipt that I paid, also her son in law lawyeris willing to go to court to say that she gave me the land. Can I take her to court to get the deeds. I gace her 2.5 million G$, 2 million for the lein and 500,000 for the land bu she just refuse to give me any paper work. This is happening in South America
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
This is a US law category. This is not taking place in the US?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.I suppose you cannot help me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I only know US law. I will opt out.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
.