Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

My sister has been living in a mobile home years

Customer Question

My sister has been living in a mobile home for seven years paying rent to the owner, who orally promised to give her the mobile home. the mobile home is located on a lot owned by another gentleman other than the owner of the mobile home. The owner of the mobile home died and the estate just filed for the right to abandon the property, even after an offer twice the value of the mobile home was given by my sister to the estate. The abandon request was supported by the court system. The owner of the mobile home lot is willing to let the mobile home stay there and my sister wants to lay claim to the abandon mobile home. My sister has payed the 2014 taxes and the lot rent diligently for seven years. How can she lay claim to the mobile home
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure why an estate would abandon the home when there was an offer to purchase it. I am guessimg that they couldn't find a title document and they feared having a problem with a buyer. With the owner being deceased, and the estate disclaiming any interest yourr sister can claim ownership simply by possession of the trailer i.e. by living it. There is no one who has a superior claim to ownership of the home, and as long as she continues to pay the taxes and the lot rent she is now the owner in fact. She will probably never be able to mortgage the home or sell it because she won't be able to obtain a formal title document.