Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My brother died didn't have a will More close to my daddy Mom

Customer Question

My brother died didn't have a will
More close to my daddy
Mom gave him up to her parent when he was born then move to New York
My brother live not too far from my dad
We need help how to proceed
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Can you provide me a bit more information? Did your brother have a surviving spouse or have any children? Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No spouse no kids he stayed by himself an worked withy mom an sister
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has a truck which is paid for about 10 acres of land and a house an a saving account
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response. When there is no will, the intestacy succession laws for the state in which he resided (or if there is real property, in that state if it's a different state with regard to that real property) with regard to your brother's probate assets. It's important to realize that certain assets pass automatically and thus are not governed by the intestate succession laws. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts. With regard to any other assets, the Georgia (and I'm presuming Georgia because you posted the applicable state as Georgia), the intestate succession laws provide that if here is no surviving spouse and no children, then the parents inherit equally and if only one parent is alive, that parent inherits 100%.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!