socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I failed to pay my Marietta GA house's real state tax and a

Customer Question

I failed to pay my Marietta GA house's real state tax and a company both the tax from the Cobb county auction. The house is appraised U$300K and the purchaser paid U$260K for the taxes that were about U$5K. There is of course excess funds of around U$255K.
1. If I give up getting the house back to me, is there anything else the purchaser or the county could charge me out of the excess funds or any other properties I have? 2. Is this excess funds money secured to be mine or there is a chance for somebody to take
them? 3. Is there anything I have to do in order to secure my right over the excess funds?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
1. If I give up getting the house back to me, is there anything else the purchaser or the county could charge me out of the excess funds or any other properties I have? A: Nothing other than the costs associated with the tax sale (sheriff's fees, etc.). 2. Is this excess funds money secured to be mine or there is a chance for somebody to take them? 3. Is there anything I have to do in order to secure my right over the excess funds? A: You must file a claim for excess funds with the Cobb County tax collector. I do not find a claim form online, so I suggest you contact the tax collector's office and obtain the correct procedure. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using justanswer.com!