Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I was foreclosed on back in January and never was given any

Customer Question

i was foreclosed on back in January and never was given any eviction notice because it didn't sell at auction. Now it has sold and i received a three/ninety day notice to quit premises. what does this mean?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation.
When the home is sold, you are no longer the owner. The owner is the party that wins the home at auction, which is often the lender that puts the home up for the auction in the first place.
When this happens, the former owner becomes what is known as a "tenant at sufferance" on the property. A tenant at sufferance is someone who has no right to occupy the premises, but is tolerated by the new owner and may be terminated at the will of the new owner.
This is what the notice is - it is a notice to leave the property. If you do not do so in the time allotted, they will initiate eviction.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i understand that i wil;l have to leave. But how long do I have. I was told i would get a 90 day notice, but I don't understand the three day part

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Well, what exactly does the note say? You can also upload it here if you want to.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
The notice is badly worded, but it seems that it is for NINETY days.
One may wish to call the firm to make sure (it is allowed, do not stress), but it seems that they are providing a 90 day notice (which is actually 30 days more than normally required for someone who has lived on the property for a year or more).
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.