J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

The is a piece of property that abutts my property line that is 6200 square ft and I live

Customer Question

The is a piece of property that abutts my property line that is 6200 square ft and I live here in mass for 22 years without anyone building on it and town of chelmsford said it was ok to build on. Can I do anything to stop it as the house be only 13 ft from my property line?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:
(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and
(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about your situation and appreciate your concerns. Unfortunately, if the structure is being built in accordance with local set back ordinances and proper permits preventing the construction may only be accomplished by filing a lawsuit to stop the construction. The suit would need to based on a valid concern with regards ***** ***** structure not just personal preference to not have a structure built.
This type of suit would likely be more expensive then an adverse possession claim. An adverse possession claim would require legal expenses as well, and as you have been told would be in the thousands.
I would check with the City Building Department and continue to voice your concerns to them with regards ***** ***** construction.
All my best & encouragement.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.