Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

My mother passed February 12, 2015. Left me her house in her

Customer Question

My mother passed February 12, 2015. Left me her house in her Will. What is the process to have it turned over into my name. Not sure I want it because it has a $30,000 mortgage and a $10,000 home equity loan on the house. I'm renting it out now to pay the mortgage but the house is still in her name. What do I do? I have no idea. Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns.
My condolences to you on your loss. The process here would require you to go through probate. In Pennsylvania that would mean that you would need to contact your county's probate office and bring a copy of the will with you to the office along with a copy of the death certificate. You would then need to ask that you be made an executor or executrix (based on gender), which would allow you to contact creditors such as the lenders, wind down affairs, negotiate debts, and once that is done, pay any remaining taxes and then transfer the property under your own name. You would need to first contact the lenders as the executor to potentially refinance it under your own name since a mortgage against the title would bar title transfer.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.