RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

What does a motion mean?

Customer Question

What does a motion for foreclosure mean?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
A motion is a written request or proposal to the court to obtain an asked-for order, ruling, or direction. In this case, the motion is likely being made by the bank, who is the plaintiff and wants to foreclose on the home the defendant is living in, since they likely defaulted on their mortgage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happens next?
Can you share with me what has happened so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband borrowed $1 million from the bank to purchase a new business. When the economy dropped, he had difficulty making his mortgage payments. He stopped doing so in February 2012.
Did he take out a HELOC or when he borrowed the money, was property used to secure the loan? You shared that he purchased a business, so I am curious as to how property was foreclosed on and how this is all related?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property was used to secure the loan. Our house and his office are located on the same property.
Thank you. If the loan is not repaid pursuant the terms and conditions of it, the lender can foreclose on the property and force the sale, to satisfy what they are owed. You certainly can try and ask the lender for a modification, to help you continue paying and you have a legal right to contest the foreclosure action if it is filed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long can they possibly allow us to stay there without paying the mortgage?
It is up to them. It really depends on if they want to move fast or not with the foreclosure. You could have a few months or longer if it is contested.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!