Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I violated a lease agreement and forfeited my deposit. They

Customer Question

I violated a lease agreement and forfeited my deposit. They gave me three days to leave. Now, I got a bill a month later telling my I have to pay $600 for last months rent. Can the landlords do this? And what if they can't find my lease anymore?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, were you a month to month tenant or were you a tenant under lease? If under lease, when would this lease naturally terminate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The end of April would be my lease end date.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The told me over the phone I had three days to leave or they would call the county police
Thank you for your follow-up.
The landlord has the right to demand rents, even if you are not on premises under these specific conditions:
1. If you are still under a lease agreement
2. If you are no longer under the lease but did not give timely notice and moved out
3. If evicted for cause but the lease agreement did not yet terminate.
Here, if you were evicted for cause, that month may be still be your responsibility but after that point the landlord has a duty to mitigate damages and find a new tenant, especially if you are no longer under your lease agreement (if your lease contract ended at the end of April and you moved out end of March or early April, the landlord can make you pay until end of April or for 30 days, but after that he can no longer pursue you for additional charges).
Hope that helps clarify!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.